NSF-61 Certified Liners
If you manufacture, sell, or distribute water treatment or distribution products in North America, your products are required to comply with NSF/ANSI/CAN 61: Drinking Water System Components – Health Effects by most governmental agencies that regulate drinking water supplies. These regulations include criteria for:
- Protective barrier materials (cement, paints, coatings)
- Joining and sealing materials (gaskets, adhesives, lubricants)
- Mechanical devices (water meters, valves, filters)
- Pipes and related products (pipe, hose, fittings)
- Plumbing devices (faucets, drinking fountains)
- Process media (filter media, ion exchange resins)
- Non-metallic potable water materials
Essentially, this government-mandated requirement ensures that the chemicals and materials used in producing drinking water are safe and will not produce negative health effects. It ensures that components of the process will not add contaminants that will cause health or regulatory problems. The NSF-61 certification provides end-users, retailers, and regulators the guarantee that a third party has tested the product according to rigorous industry standards. If you are a water producer, using NSF-61 certified chemicals and materials will put you at the forefront of the industry.
At RAK, we are able to comply with NSF-61 requirements for both potable water and chemicals—an important distinction and one that not all contractors can make.